Welcome to the Compassionate Caregivers of Maine Forums

Welcome to the Compassionate Caregivers of Maine Forums. In order to interact with the community, you must first >register an account. Thank you!
  • Interact with the CCM Community!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience
Users coming from the old system may be required to reset their password.
Guest Message by DevFuse
Photo

Fake Bubba Kush and OG kush

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Greenthumb Seeds

Dr. Greenthumb Seeds

Medical Cannabis Breeder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

I just recieved my October 2013 issue of High Times magazine and there's an article and photos by Rocky Mountain High, Denver that includes full page photos of what is supposed to be Bubba Kush and OG Kush. Problem is, that neither is what it's supposed to be. We at Greenthumb Seeds, Canada were the first ever to have Bubba and OG Kush in seed form and have worked extensively with both strains for about 10 years now. We've never seen phenos like those pictured, so they're either crosses or total BS. Neither photo is even close to Bubba kush or OG Kush and there are ZERO hallmarks of true Bubba or OG in leaf, flower or growth structure. PERIOD. Rocky Mountain High is a dispensary so it must be decent smoke, which is great but what's pictured isn't real Bubba and it isn't real OG and I think people have a right to know.

#2 Bestbuds

Bestbuds

Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

Can you copyright names of these genetics? People better start working diligently in that area so as others not to rob their work?

#3 Bestbuds

Bestbuds

Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

Or trademark

#4 Shadow

Shadow

Jedi

• Moderators
  • 1,959 posts
  • LocationAugusta area

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

Can you copyright names of these genetics? People better start working diligently in that area so as others not to rob their work?

Or trademark

I was wondering the same thing.  It's getting harder and harder to really know what you're growing - there are so many strains available (seems like more every single day), and then you run across the same strain name but 2 obviously different plants, be it intentional or not.  Reputable breeders (yes, like you, Dr.G) and groups like ccm who have serious breeders seem to be the easiest and most reliable way know what you've really got...

We need to find someone who's really OCD to make a master list of what's what and what name is already taken on an international basis, but it better be someone very young 'cos it'll take forever!

#5 oldman

oldman

Garden Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts
  • Currently Accepting New Patients?:Yes
  • Grow Method:Soil
  • Home Delivery:Yes

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

are marijuana seeds or breeds able to be patented like some other plants are??

You create your own reality-Enjoy the day "The" oldman

#6 oldman

oldman

Garden Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

I had one dude years ago that said the "nycd" was "his" breed to run not mine....Didn't like the fact that I was growing some until I told him it came from soma seeds just like his original did....

Some folks think just because they got it[the special breed] before someone else that its thiers to rule...

I say unless you personally did the work then its NOT yours to brag abpout,even then we all started off someones elses work before us.

#7 Dr. Greenthumb Seeds

Dr. Greenthumb Seeds

Medical Cannabis Breeder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

Some day with genetic testing we may be able to do that. For now, I don't know what to say except we would never, ever, mis-represent a strain to our customers and those who get genetics from us know, that when we say it's Bubba...it's Bubba. When we say it's OG...it's OG and so on and we have a proven record of selling EXACTLY what we say it is.

You are all correct though, it's a complete mess out there these days with some kid in his closet taking a plant and calling it whatever they want and making seeds for sale. All for money. Seedbanks popping up every day with strains nobody's heard of but look and taste like someone elses work. It's not just about money any more though is it? It's about patients and medicine now too isn't it? Bubba Kush, in my opinion has too many medical benefits to be mis-represented and I'll be God Damned if I'll sit around and do or say nothing about. 

What I think maybe has happened is Bubba Kush and or OG Kush didn't yield enough for commercial production, so someone crossed it with something to make it yield more...but then it's not Bubba or OG any more, it's something else and someone is not telling the truth. On the other hand, upon close examination of the photos in question, there is not a single hallmark of flower structure, growth habit or leaf structure to indicate the photos in question have ANY relationship to Bubba or OG in my opinion. NONE. 

If someone takes a plant like Bubba Kush and reproduces it and calls it Bubba Kush, well that in my opinion...is life.

#8 oldman

oldman

Garden Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

For the sake of conversation;

Ive found some of the best breeds[clone only] come from mistakes or finding the oddities in the group...

My prize keeper's are cuts that have been passed on to me that cant be found in seed form.....Most noteably the east coast sour D...

We have all heard the story [or 2] of how it came to be, a seed pulled out of a bag...

I understand your process is a whole lot different in creating your line of seeds but you do put out a "sour desiel" that is as close to the clone only as ive seen[and ive seen at least 5 local,side by side] but youll have to admit you didn't come up with the breed ,just a way to mass produce it........No disrespect,you do great work that produces nice plants.

#9 oldman

oldman

Garden Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

we had a pic snaped of a maine Red BUD plant that made high times years ago..When the pix was labeled they got the name wrong and called it northern lites...Hard to take back what high times puts out.

enjoy the day brother.

#10 Dr. Greenthumb Seeds

Dr. Greenthumb Seeds

Medical Cannabis Breeder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

For the sake of conversation;

Ive found some of the best breeds[clone only] come from mistakes or finding the oddities in the group...

My prize keeper's are cuts that have been passed on to me that cant be found in seed form.....Most noteably the east coast sour D...

We have all heard the story [or 2] of how it came to be, a seed pulled out of a bag...

I understand your process is a whole lot different in creating your line of seeds but you do put out a "sour desiel" that is as close to the clone only as ive seen[and ive seen at least 5 local,side by side] but youll have to admit you didn't come up with the breed ,just a way to mass produce it........No disrespect,you do great work that produces nice plants.

None taken. That's one of our 'claims to fame' so-to-speak, being able to reproduce a clone-only strain that's as close to, or exactly like, the original but with added vigour and never a hermaphrodite, using our own feminization process. We were the first to S1 Bubba and OG, Chemdawg and others. 

We've never said we've invented the hula hoops like Bubba, OG, Trainwreck, Sour Diesel, Chemdawg...they are what they are and IMHO don't need improving. What we're talking about here is either renaming an existing strain, or, as in this case, calling a strain something it is not.

We bred strains like OhZone, which is now even bigger than G13 and more potent too, Endless Sky, Jazz, Bubba OG, The Dope and others

#11 oldman

oldman

Garden Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

None taken. That's one of our 'claims to fame' so-to-speak, being able to reproduce a clone-only strain that's as close to, or exactly like, the original but with added vigour and never a hermaphrodite, using our own feminization process. We were the first to S1 Bubba and OG, Chemdawg and others. 

We've never said we've invented the hula hoops like Bubba, OG, Trainwreck, Sour Diesel, Chemdawg...they are what they are and IMHO don't need improving. What we're talking about here is either renaming an existing strain, or, as in this case, calling a strain something it is not.

We bred strains like OhZone, which is now even bigger than G13 and more potent too, Endless Sky, Jazz, Bubba OG, The Dope and others

Being friends with topshelf ive had the opertunity to see quite a few of your seeds go from start to finish..and .Ive been very impressed with what ive seen...[statement made from a clone guy]

#12 Dr. Greenthumb Seeds

Dr. Greenthumb Seeds

Medical Cannabis Breeder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

Being friends with topshelf ive had the opertunity to see quite a few of your seeds go from start to finish..and .Ive been very impressed with what ive seen...[statement made from a clone guy]

I know. We don't believe in wasting our time, or our customer's time with anything that's not world class in both quality and performance. Have you observed that our S1s are super vigorous as well?

Thank you for the comment. I respect your years of experience and appreciate your feedback.

#13 Bestbuds

Bestbuds

Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

I guess what I'm getting at is pay to copyright the name. Can't do the genetics yet... but you could lock up the name brand? I believe. Costs money but locking in a famous name is important I would think. Costly but worth while over the long haul

#14 Bestbuds

Bestbuds

Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

Kinda how Paris Hilton phrased "That's Hot" put it on a shirt and bam legal owner? Pretty sure that's how that went down correct me if I'm wrong.

#15 Dr. Greenthumb Seeds

Dr. Greenthumb Seeds

Medical Cannabis Breeder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

Agreed but once you start crossing international boundaries it gets tricky

#16 Bestbuds

Bestbuds

Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

I see a dot com like boom coming from people creating names... :o. Darn let the cat out of the bag...

#17 DrFizz

DrFizz

Vet

• CCM Caregiver
  • 300 posts
  • Grow Method:Hydroponics
  • Strains Available:Jedi Kush, MK Ultra, Critical+ 2.0, pineapplegum, LSD, CBD Strains and more...
  • Medicine Types Available:Flowers, Tinctures, Edibles, Concentrates
  • Service Area:04240

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

If you follow up before ordering and do your research you learn where to go. Other than being told to go there, all my research led me to the docs bubba kush.

So easy to make seed and call it something I do that all the time, but to stabilize clone only genetics properly and see people rip it off, I wouldn't be impressed either doc.

Good work. Keep it up.

#18 Dr. Greenthumb Seeds

Dr. Greenthumb Seeds

Medical Cannabis Breeder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

If you follow up before ordering and do your research you learn where to go. Other than being told to go there, all my research led me to the docs bubba kush.

So easy to make seed and call it something I do that all the time, but to stabilize clone only genetics properly and see people rip it off, I wouldn't be impressed either doc.

Good work. Keep it up.

Thank you for vote of confidence.

I am not bothered when people make seeds from our seeds; it's none of my business as long as they're not selling them.

What bothers me about this is that it's being called Bubba Kush and OG Kush and IMO it clearly is not. Bubba is a medicinally important plant I think and  to a lesser extent, so is OG and I don't think it's right to fuck with people's medicine. Whatever those plants are...they might be great meds too... but if the naming is all fuckery, how is information about them to be shared?

#19 Bestbuds

Bestbuds

Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

Maybe there should be a site started by a reputable person like yourself Drgreenthumb? I am sure if brought to the attention of other breeders looking to keep their good names and hard work in order would be easy to achieve. Start with heavy photo documentation of said strain in all stages. Under all or as many as feasible methods of growth with explanation of traits. I see you do and any serious breeder does. Then create something like the A.K.A. to keep breeding records like a dog breeder would. I would say that even if you had a few reputable breeders join suit together to protect each others work then many would follow eventually culling out the weak that make money on genetics they didn't create.

#20 Bestbuds

Bestbuds

Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

Basically forming a seal of approval from serious breeders. Then if these jokers don't have the seal of the association we as a community can deem it untested and possibly not what breeder claims. Much like getting papers from dogs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users